The Vienna Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1903 at the behest of Councilman Leon Freeman. This was the first Volunteer Fire Department in the area. Councilman Freeman served as the Department's first chief and remained active in the Department until 1936. From 1903 to 1921, every able-bodied man and boy in the Town of Vienna served as a member of the Fire Department. VVFD purchased the first motorized fire protection in Fairfax County - a 1919 Model T Ford truck.
In September of 1929, the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department received its Charter and was established as Company 2. New vehicles were purchased to keep pace with the growing needs of the community. In 1946, the department purchased a new pumper from Maxim Motor Company. This pumper is on display at the station and is used during parades and other public events.
During World War II, due to the loss of adult males to war service, the age requirement for the department was lowered to age 14. Members also served as part of the civil defense force and manned the lookout tower on the hill behind the former fire station on Church Street (now the Worthington Building). This remained in effect for several years.
In 1958, the Fire Department constructed its present facility at 400 Center Street, S. The VVFD was among the first to recruit women as members and officers and one of the first to adapt the station to have bunks and bath facilities for both males and females. The department currently owns and maintains the property and station facilities.
The department also has a Ladies Auxiliary. Organized in 1927, it was the first such group in Fairfax County.
A Century of Service. 1903 - 2003
The Vienna Volunteer Fire Department (VVFD) is celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 2004. Founded in 1903, the VVFD has provided professional life-saving services since its inception.
The VVFD has been in several recent articles in the local press due to the anniversary celebration including:
Press Release | Keynote Speaker | Recognition